When we started our Facebook Page, the URL of our Facebook Page looked like this:
It now looks like this:
Having this neat URL makes it easier to communicate the address of the Facebook page. But it also prevents other people from claiming it!
In order to claim your vanity URL, you need to:
- Login to Facebook using you personal account
- Create a Facebook Page – http://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php
- Have a minimum of 25 Fans or ‘Likes’, as they are called nowadays.
Just follow these steps to claim the vanity URL of your Facebook Page:
- Go to Facebook Username (http://facebook.com/username)
- Use the dropdown menu to select your Facebook page
- Enter your desired user name
- Click on ‘Check availibility’
- Facebook will then tell you if your name is still available
- When it’s not available, you need to think of another name
- When it is available: Click ‘Confirm’
- Click ‘Okay’ to finish.
That’s it. You now have your vanity URL on Facebook! It is part of your online social real-estate if you will.
Have you thought about claiming your own branded username on other channels to?
PS & by the way: the love for the Smurfs is personal. Although Radiohead was the highlight of my career at record company EMI, The Smurfs were most definitelty where it all started.
PPS – the Smurfs actually sold more