Seven + 1 ways to start promoting your blog…
Try typing “Promote your blog” into Google. Wow! Lots of interesting stuff.
Interesting: yes. But also: lots. So, where do you begin? Where do you start promoting your blog?
Here’s my little ritual to shamelessly promote my blog:
UPDATE: Check out this updated post “Shameless Blog Promotion 2013”
- Add every post you do to Delicious and Digg (via Add This)
- Get some friends to do the same (get Digged); don’t over do it, but just make sure you get two or three Diggs per blog post. If your post is good, your readers will do the rest
- Add your blog to engines such as ‘Blog Catalog‘ and ‘Technorati’
- Update your Linkedin status update (‘New blog post: etc etc’). Don’t leave it there for a month, delete it after a few days
- Make sure you tweet your post on Twitter. (While you are there, retweet some other people’s stuff too.)
- Submit your blog post as a news article to a relevant Linkedin group
- If your blog post is suitable for a debate, start a discussion in this Linkedin Group.
The above should take you about 20 minutes. It’s a great way of starting on your road to shameless blog promotion!
After you have done this, here’s one final tip:
If you search Google Blogs and Technorati for other people’s posts related to the topic you are writing about, check them out. Add a comment to their post.
When you comment on a blog, other readers of that blog are now exposed to your comment. They can click on your name and end up on your blog.
From my own experience, this type of visitor views the most pages and returns to my blog more often than other visitors.
Getting your name out there in the blogosphere, means you are tapping into a group of people who are already out there looking for the stuff you are writing about. Sounds like as good a place to start as any, doesn’t it?